A large effort is underway to database and georeference the collections in the Research and Collections Section of the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. The purpose is to facilitate rapid and remote accessibility for researchers, resource managers, and the public by providing, in part, a public searchable online collections database. This effort is a work-in-progress. Therefore, the number of searchable records in the online database does not reflect the complete holdings of museum collections.
- Amphibians and Reptiles, Ornithology, Ichthyology, Invertebrates, Mammalogy, Vertebrate Paleontology, and Paleobotany Collections are part of VertNet, GBIF, and iDigBio.
- Only general locality data are displayed for selected, sensitive species (e.g., those that are threatened by overharvesting). Please contact the relevant curator for more detailed information, if needed.
- Collection Overviews are available in the Research & Collections section of the museum website.
- For more information, contact Ben Norton (firstname.lastname@example.org), Head of Technology and Collections Manager of Meteorites.
- This project is partially supported by the National Science Foundation.